For anyone with an iPhone, transferring files from iPhone to an external hard drive is a great way to keep a backup of your data. This process is relatively simple and can be done with a few clicks. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before beginning. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to transfer files from your iPhone to an external hard drive.
Transfer files to an external hard drive (NAS) from your iPhone
Integrating your NAS (Network Attached Storage) external hard drive to your home Wi-Fi network is the first option. After that, you won’t need a computer to move files from your iPhone to your hard drive. Let’s have a look at how to do it.
- Connect your NAS and iPhone to the same wireless network before beginning. Make a note of your hard drive’s IP address.
- Tap the three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the Files app on your iPhone. Connect to Server is the next step.
- Enter the IP address of the hard drive, followed by smb:// in the new screen, and then tap Connect in the upper right corner.
- In the next screen you will see a registered user option, tap Registered User, and enter your username and password. Finally, press the Next button.
As a result, you may now use your iPhone to transfer files to your NAS hard drive.
Transfer files to an external hard drive from your iPhone
If you have a standard USB Hard Drive instead of a NAS hard drive. There’s nothing to worry about. Even so, you may use the Photographs app on your Windows 10 or later PC to move your iPhone’s photos and movies to an external hard drive.
- Make sure your external hard drive is connected to the computer first. Next, use a USB cord to connect your iPhone to your Windows computer.
- The Windows Photos app will automatically launch and begin importing your iPhone’s photos and videos as soon as they are connected.
- when the import procedure is complete you’ll see the change destination screen. Select Change Destination from this menu.
- Then, in the Select Folder window, choose the external hard drive folder where you want to save the files from your iPhone.
- All files can now be imported by selecting All Items in the Select drop-down menu. Alternatively, you can click on the thumbnails to pick certain files to be transferred.
- In order to move images and movies from your iPhone to the external hard drive, pick them all and then click Import.
Transfer your iPhone’s data to an external hard drive using a Mac.
Mac users can transfer Images from an Old model iPhone or iPhone 14 to an external hard drive using the Image Capture software. Let’s have a look at what we can do to make it happen.
- Make sure your iPhone is plugged into a USB port on your Mac with the cord. Upon initial connection, you will be prompted to enter the passcode and confirm that you are comfortable with the computer asking for this information.
- Select your iPhone as a device in Image Capture on Mac. Thumbnails of the photographs stored on your iPhone can be found here.
- At the right of that, you’ll find the Import option. The Pictures folder will be the default location for the images once they are imported. Select your external hard disk from the drop-down selection that appears.
- All of the iPhone’s photos can be downloaded by clicking Download All. If you simply want to transfer a few photographs, select the thumbnails you wish to download and click the Download button.
Directly Transfer Files from iPhone to Hard Drive.
USB-based external hard drives can be connected straight to your iPhone if you do not wish to use a computer. To connect the devices, you may require a Lightning-to-USB or Lightning-to-USB 3 converter.
You may access the hard drive from the Files app by tapping the Browse button on the bottom right of the screen once the devices are connected.
Finally, all of your iPhone’s data may simply be transferred from the phone to the hard disk.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I move Photographs from my iPhone to my computer?
Using the Photographs app on Windows or the Image Capture program on Mac, you can move photos and movies from your iPhone to an external hard drive.
Can I transfer images from my iPhone to my external hard drive?
Yes. You can transfer images from your iPhone to your NAS-based hard drive using the Files app. A USB OTG adapter can also be used for direct file transfer from a USB hard drive to an iPhone.