IVF: Most Frequently Asked Questions Answered

3 min read
In-Vitro Fertilization

In-Vitro Fertilization is a simple yet sincere process wherein a man’s sperms are fertilized with a woman’s eggs, outside their body, more precisely in a laboratory under certain environmental conditions, which is then transferred inside the uterus of the woman, helping them in artificial conceiving. This process can be used to treat infertility in: 

  • Females having any Ovarian disorder
  • Females with Blockage or breakage of Fallopian Tubes
  • Females that have had fallopian tubes removed due to any reason
  • Males with infertility issues, like decreased sperm count
  • Couples struggling from any genetic disorder

There are 7 basic steps involved in IVF and even if it’s a best IVF centre in Delhi or at any other place you’re residing in, the success rate of an IVF depends on a lot many other factors, like age of the female, the lifestyle, and a lot many more. 

Here, we have answered some common queries and doubts that are experienced by females who wish to undertake IVF or are already going with them. 

Question 1: When exactly is the right time to consult a fertility doctor and for how long shall I wait before consulting one? 

Answer: When do you wish to conceive should solely be the wish of the couple, especially the mother since she undergoes a lot of change in her body during pregnancy. However, there exists nearly 20% of the chances to conceive during any month of a year, making it almost 90% of the total couples who can conceive successfully within the first year itself. The remaining 10% of the couples should ideally consult the doctor immediately. Now, this depends on the age of the female as well. Women of 30 years of age or more should opt for a fertility evaluation after 6 months of trying.

Question 2: Are there any precautions or restrictions to follow while trying IVF? 

Answer: Yes; there are some basic lifestyle changes and measures that every couple should follow while they are trying for IVF to increase its success rate and perfect health of the baby. They are: 

  • Avoid Drinking and smoking at least 3 months before the start of the treatment until the delivery of the baby, minimum. 
  • Inform your doctor about any medication that you might be taking, even the dose for headaches and body aches. 
  • Invest a good deal of time in preparing your diet chart and include all the foods of a balanced diet.
  • Restrict yourself from doing any vigorous exercise.
  • Any supplement is strictly prohibited, other than the ones prescribed by your fertility doctor. 

Question 3: Does IVF increase the chances of giving birth to twins or triplets? 

Answer: This is one of the most common questions that females have regarding pregnancy via IVF. This depends on many factors. This majorly depends upon your wish, if you are willing to carry twins or triplets. Based on your decision, the doctor will implant that many embryos in your uterus. With a single embryo transfer, it is impossible to have multiple pregnancies. Having said that, considering the uncertainty of successful IVF in a single attempt, the majority of women choose to have multiple embryos implanted in their uterus, which can result in more than one successful treatment.  

Question 4: Are there any side-effects with IVF? 

Answer: Like any other treatment, IVF too can have certain side effects as mood swings, headache, abdominal pain, bloating, etc. One of the rarest cases of IVF might result in OHSS – Ovarian Hyper- Stimulation Syndrome, producing some additional symptoms as: 

  • Fainting
  • Urinary frequency might decrease 
  • A feeling of vomiting or nausea
  • Severe stomach pain
  • Weight gain in 3-5 days
  • Feeling Short of breath

Some of the common side-effects include: 

  • Feeling mild bloating
  • Feeling light cramping
  • Passing a small amount of clear or blood-colored liquid, post the procedure
  • Feeling constipated
  • Feeling tender breasts

Thus, IVF is an ideal choice for couples who have tried other conventional methods of conceiving, failing every time to their dismay. It is always advisable to select only the top IVF centre in Delhi or any other place you’re residing in, and discussing with them the entire procedure before starting it.  

Leave a Reply